4.05.2010

Ausome? Awetistic? It's Awareness Month!

This is the first year that I have celebrated Autism Awareness month as it's the first year that I've known about it - having a new diagnosis in your home will suddenly reveal to you endless charity events, fundraisers, books, websites and in my case, the most brilliant awareness ribbon on the market. Helloooo? A multi-colored ribbon with a jigsaw theme to show the complexity of this puzzling disorder...it's practically the new black!

To show my support I have created an "April is Autism Awareness Month, I wear my ribbon for my son!" email signature for my work correspondence. I interact with members of the Chamber of Commerce as well as leaders in the Florida construction market, people who talk and are respected in our community, and I've had a chance to explain Dylan's differences to people whom I would normally never be able to have that conversation with. We usually talk purchase orders, retention schedules and the upcoming Marketing Monday seminar, and now I get to talk about how beautiful my son is. It's extremely refreshing!

Additionally, I'm rocking my sweet ribbon, which I think I may continue to rock well after April is over, and have invested several dollars at Cafe Press for bumper stickers which proudly proclaim that my son has autism, and that I see the potential.

And lastly, I am blogging my ever loving heart out to spread the world about how I don't care if people understand the disorder, I don't care if they are pro-vaccine or anti-gluten, I just want them to accept Dylan and expect from him the same thing that I do: That he will have a full, satisfying life, filled with hilarious twists and turns, surrounded by friends and family whom he loves. I want him to do what he wants to do with his life and I want him to possibly be a musical genius who makes Jared and I millions of dollars. In short - I expect him to have a beautiful and brilliant life.

So, in our very first celebrated Autism Awareness month, I make these promises to my son:

I vow to never underestimate your ability. You have proven me wrong too many times to count.

I will learn to let go and watch you develop without me holding your hand through every encounter because I am terrified that you are going to be scared or confused or overwhelmed. You're always fine. Unless your not...and then I'll step in! ;)

I will protect you without impeding your progress. Unless you start to date a girl who's too sassy and doesn't like my cooking. Then...I will hardcore protect and impede you from her. She's probably stupid and I'm doing you a favor.

I will never be ashamed or uncomfortable talking about your ASD. You and Lylli are my angels, nothing you are could ever stop be from beaming. Who you are is what makes my heart sing.

When you are older and you can tell me how all of this makes you feel, I will tell the world that story, and I will encourage YOU to tell that story, so that other mothers and fathers and sisters and grandparents will be able to hear your wonderful journey. Maybe you could tell tell everyone at the Grammy's while your thanking your father and I for giving you the gift of music...unless that fishstick lovin' Kanye interjects. Clown shoes.

And I promise to love you unconditionally, but that has nothing to do with any disorder. That's every mothers' promise to a child they would do anything for. You and Lylli are the world to me and your father.

I'm off to go put a defiantly sleepy Dylan Bear to bed, you go off an tell someone how you know a fantastic little monkey who was diagnosed with ASD who totally rocks. Open up some minds for us, 1 in 100 kids will need you to bust some knowledge and throw down some science.

Night!
-Kel

No comments: